Charles E. Davis
Professor of Accounting
Charles Davis is professor of Accounting at the Hankamer School of Business. He earned his PhD in accounting from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He also holds an MBA from University of Richmond and a BBA in accounting from The College of William and Mary, and is a CPA (Virginia) and CMA. Prior to pursing his PhD, Davis worked in various accounting and consulting roles for Reynolds Metals Company, Coopers & Lybrand, and Investors Savings Bank, all in Richmond, Virginia.
Davis has taught undergraduate, graduate and executive courses in managerial accounting, accounting information systems, and information systems auditing, and he has developed and taught online as well as traditional courses. He has previously served as department chair for Accounting and Business Law and director of Graduate Accounting Programs.
Davis has twice received The Institute of Management Accountants’ Lybrand Gold Medal and four Certificates of Merit for his publications in Management Accounting and Strategic Finance. He currently serves on the Editorial Board of Strategic Finance and is a former member of the Editorial Board of Issues in Accounting Education.
- 1991 – PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- 1989 – MBA, Accounting Information Systems, University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia
- 1981 – BBA, Accounting, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
- ACC 5420 – Managerial Accounting (2014 – current)
- Creativity and Accounting Education
- Behavioral Accounting
- Davis, C. E., Herrera, A., & McClain, R. E. (2021). Developing Creative Accountants. Strategic Finance, 102(10), 48–54.
- Davis, C. E. (2020). Four Design Choices That Can Make or Break Your Slide Deck. Strategic Finance, 101(11), 40-47.
- Davis, C. E. and Davis, E. (2020). Managerial accounting (4th ed.). John Wiley & Sons.
- Chevis, G., Davis, C. E., & Hurtt, R. K. (2011). Backpack to Briefcase: The Transition from Student to Accounting Professional. Advances in Accounting Education: Teaching and Curriculum Innovations, 12, 33-52.
- Davis, C. E., Davis, E. & Murphy, D. (1997). An Investigation of the Impact of Market Discipline on Individuals’ Price Revisions. Advances in Accounting, 15, 125-168.
One Bear Place #98013
Waco, TX 76706