Debra D. Burleson
Debra Burleson graduated from Baylor University, as did her mother and grandmother. She volunteered in the community, chairing several boards, and also worked in PR. She pursued her MEd degree in Instructional Technology and PhD in Technical Communication at Texas Tech University. In recent years, Burleson has incorporated a short-term virtual team projects in her BUS 3315 classes with English speaking/writing students at a European University, and in 2023 students will have the opportunity to participate and also get credit a Global Engagement Certificate.
At Baylor, Burleson has daughtered the introductory MIS course, the BUS 3315 course and MIS 6380 in the IS PhD program. She has traveled with the Accounting team to Uganda and began and directed the Zambia Business Consulting Mission trip to Family Legacy. In addition, she has taught in the Baylor Business in Europe study abroad for several years.
Burleson is an advisor with a sorority on campus and has been an advisor for the BRH Choir and the Women in Business at Baylor. She and her husband have hosted many PhD student dinners and Welcome Week gatherings in their home.
- 2012 – PhD, Technical Communication & Rhetoric, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- 2004 – MEd., Instructional Technology, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- 1979 – BBA, Business Communication, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- BUS 3315 – Business Communications
- MIS 6380 – Ethics in Contemporary Topics in Information Systems
- Virtual Teams Communication
- Medical Communication
- Hospitalist Communication Practices
- Emotional Intelligence
- Burleson, D. D., & Peters, U. (2021). Short-Term International Virtual Teams: Preparing Students and Employees for a Digitized, Global Workplace. In Developments in Virtual Learning Environments and the Global Workplace (pp. 205-227). IGI Global.
- Milovich, M., & Burleson, D. (2020). Connections and Cognitive Speed of Older Adults: Using a Social Media Intervention to Improve Cognitive Speed. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 47, pp-pp. https://doi.org/10.17705/1CAIS.04734
- Burleson, D., & Chipidza, W. (2017, January). Conducting Research in a Developing Country: A Reflection-in-Action Perspective. In Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Burleson, D. (2014). Communication Challenges in the Hospital Setting: A Comparative Case Study of Hospitalists’ and Patients’ Perceptions. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 28(2), 187–221.