HSB Peer Leader Program
The HSB Peer Leader Program strives to facilitate supportive relationships among Business School students through mentorship. Peer leaders connect with first-year, Pre-Business students in one-on-one and group settings, with the goal of integrating new students into the Baylor Business community.
Students selected to be mentored will register for STL 1102 (HSB Peer Leader Program Seminar), which serves as an elective supplement to BUS 1101 to help first-year students establish a foundation that will support them through their academic and professional career. Peer leaders will attend the course as teaching assistants and lead bi-weekly group discussions as well as meeting one-on-one with assigned students outside of class time.
First-year Business students are eligible to apply in the fall semester for entry in the following spring semester. Applications to be a mentor will open in fall of 2023.
The mission of the HSB Peer Leader Program is to serve, support and encourage first-year, Pre-Business students beyond their initial New Student Experience (NSE) at Baylor. The HSB Peer Leader Program will serve to develop relationships and foster deeper community within the Business School.
Pillars of the HSB Peer Leader Program
- Academic – The pursuit of knowledge and wisdom is a lifelong endeavor which takes time and effort. We strive to help students in the development of their minds and to equip them to learn how to learn.
- Spiritual – We believe that students’ faith ought to animate and provide direction for their lives. The spiritual component is not separate but rather integrally tethered to every aspect of a student’s development.
- Mental – College life places an increased amount of stress on students as they adjust to living more independently. Awareness and dialogue about mental health issues facing college students promotes opportunities for students to become more resilient and proactively manage their mental wellbeing.
- Physical – Physical health and wellbeing is crucial for students to develop in other areas of their lives. While students’ abilities and goals may differ, exercise and proper nutrition should be a central element of their daily regimen so that they can flourish in all areas.
- Social – Because we are made in God’s image, all humans are inherently relational and meant to live with others in meaningful ways. This can only be accomplished by exploring the complexities of life together and appreciating the uniqueness and diversity of each person.
- Financial – We desire for students to see the accrual of wealth not purely as a means to personal success but as a mechanism for positive change in the world. Also, it is important for students to learn how to be wise stewards of their own finances even as they learn to manage the money of businesses and clients.
Application Timeline (2023)
- Applications open – Friday, Sept. 1
- Applications close – Saturday, Sept. 30
- Interviews – Monday, Oct. 2 – Friday, Oct. 20
- Peer Leaders Chosen and Notified – Tuesday, Oct. 24
- STL 1102 Registration Information Emailed to Peer Leaders – Tuesday, Oct. 31
- Training and Peer Leader Reveal – Friday, Dec. 1
- Make an impact in the Business School
- Be a paid teaching assistant for a STL 1102 class during the spring semester
- Meet one-on-one and in a small group setting with first-year Pre-Business students
- Obtain both leadership and work experience
- Help integrate students into the larger Business School community
- Facilitate discussion on relevant topics such as academic success, faith formation, personal growth and professional development
Application Timeline (2023)
- Application opens – Friday, Sept. 15
- Application closes – Friday, Oct. 20
- Student Participants Chosen and Notified – Tuesday, Oct. 24
- STL 1102 Registration Information Emailed to Student Participants – Tuesday, Oct. 31
- Peer Leader Reveal – Friday, Dec. 1
- Be paired with a junior or senior HSB Peer Leader
- Meet one-on-one with your HSB Peer Leader bi-weekly
- Attend a STL 1102 class bi-weekly during the spring semester and gather in a small group with your HSB Peer Leader and other first-year Pre-Business students
- Engage in discussion on relevant topics such as academic success, faith formation, personal growth and professional development
- Become integrated and participate in the larger HSB community
- Learn to grow in a holistic manner during your time at the Hankamer School of Business, Baylor and beyond
Questions? Contact HSBPeerLeaderProgram@baylor.edu