Mission and Values
We cultivate principled leaders and serve the global marketplace through transformational learning and impactful scholarship in a culture of innovation guided by Christian values.
Our shared values are the principles that guide all of our work.
- Leadership: We seek to influence others so that they might flourish.
“And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds.” (Hebrews 10:24)
- Learning: We commit to a lifelong pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.
“The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever else you get, get insight.” (Proverbs 4:7)
- Impact: We drive lasting change that improves lives for students, faculty, staff, and the world at large.
“I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)
- Innovation: We foster an environment that anticipates change and encourages experimentation to develop novel solutions for the future.
“No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak; otherwise, the patch pulls away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost, and so are the skins; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.” (Mark 2:21-22)
- Integrity: We advocate the development of whole, virtuous persons.
“Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:8)
- Teamwork: We build on one another’s gifts, acknowledging that we are one body and that the whole is always stronger than the separate parts.
“For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.” (I Corinthians 12:12)
- Transformation: We embrace renewing minds and lives.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)
- Excellence: We pursue what is good, affirming the standards to which Christians are called, and doing such things to honor the Lord.
“Whatever your task, put yourselves into it, as done for the Lord and not for your masters.” (Colossians 3:23)
- Exploration: We seek new opportunities for discovery with a firm grounding in Christ.
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life.’” (John 14:6)
- Service: We strive to fulfill the needs of others through stewardship of God’s gifts.
“Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received.” (I Peter 4:10)
Vision Statements for Learning and for Research and Scholarship
Hankamer Learning Excellence Vision
- We transform learners into inspired, principled, skilled business leaders who are engaged, innovative, and impactful.
Hankamer Scholarship Excellence Vision Statements
- Basic or Discovery Scholarship Vision: Our environment produces high impact discovery research and allows international thought leaders to flourish.
- Applied or Integration Scholarship Vision: HSB values and invests in practitioner research, conducting scholarship that meaningfully impacts the business community in service consistent with our Christian identity.
- Teaching and Learning Scholarship Vision: To encourage cutting edge pedagogical research in HSB that differentiates Baylor by conducting and publishing research into pedagogical methods that help faculty transform their students into principled leaders.
Our strategic areas of focus include four key areas.
We are a community committed to excellence and service to others, and we believe our potential is God-given and our life path follows a calling. The Hankamer School of Business helps students meet their calling by providing relevant, transformational educational programs and professional immersion characterized by a culture of innovation, excellence, Christian values and a global perspective.
All members of the Hankamer community provide principled leadership and service guided by Christian commitment. This is the character we instill in our students, and the commitment that guides our faculty and staff in their work. A central feature of this effort involves the selection and development of individuals whose values and character are consistent with the school and university missions.
The school's culture of innovation is shaped by our faculty, who produce research that illuminates transformative solutions to significant business and societal problems. Our culture also supports students, faculty, and staff through efficient internal processes dedicated to excellence, effective stewardship and nimble service. This climate is the foundation for our work, and the means through which we provide the Baylor experience.
Communication amongst and between our stakeholders is vital to our success and the fulfillment of our mission. Our faith based heritage and commitment to integrity provides the foundation for collaborative and mutually beneficial relationships with our stakeholders.