Associate Dean for Graduate Business Programs; Associate Professor
Patsy Norman is the associate dean of Graduate Programs at the Hankamer School of Business and an associate professor in the Department of Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation at Baylor University. She has taught strategic management and other courses to graduate students in Baylor’s full-time MBA and the Business Schools’ Executive MBA program, as well as to undergraduate students. Her research interests include downsizing, bankruptcy, innovation and strategic alliances. Her work has been published in journals including the Journal of Management, Journal of Business Research and the Journal of Product Innovation Management. She has also published case studies and exercises for classroom use.
Norman earned her PhD in Strategic Management from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Prior to studying for her PhD, she served as a contracting/acquisition officer in the U.S. Air Force. She also has a BA in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania and an MS in Contracting Management from the Air Force Institute of Technology.
- 1997 – PhD, Strategic Management, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- 1991 – MS, Contracting Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- 1986 – BA, Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- BUS 5201 – In-Residence: Leading in the 21st Century (2018-current)
- BUS 5302 – In Residence: Government, Business, and Societal Impact (2022-current)
- BUS 5315 – Graduate Business Case Competition (2016-current)
- MGT 5385 – Strategic Management and Business Policy (2008-2021)
- BUS 4385 – Strategic Management (1997-2002, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2018)
- MGT 5186 – Strategic Planning (2002-2008)
- MGT 5187 – Strategic Implementation (2002-2008)
- MGT 5188 – Strategic Control (2002-2008)
- MGT 5885 – Global Strategic Management (2001)
- MGT 4350 – Organizational Theory (1997)
- Downsizing and restructuring
- Strategic Alliances
- Palich, L. E., Norman, P. M., & Reed, M. M. (2021). Magformers LLC and Amazon: Dealing with Counterfeit Magnetic Toys. Case Research Journal, 41(4): 47-55.
- Zorn, M. L., Norman, P. M., Butler, F. C., & Bhussar, M. S. Bhussar. (2017). Cure or curse: Does downsizing increase the likelihood of bankruptcy? Journal of Business Research, 76(July): 24-33.
- Norman, P. M., Butler, F. C., & Ranft, A. L. (2013). Resources Matter: Examining the Effects of Resources on the State of Firms Following Downsizing. Journal of Management, 39(7), 2009-2038.
- Artz, K. W., Norman, P. M., Hatfield, D., & Cardinal, L. (2010). “A Longitudinal Study of the Impact of R&D, Patents, and Product Innovation on Firm Performance.” Journal of Product Innovation Management, 27(5): 725-740.
- Norman, P. M. 2004. “Knowledge Acquisition, Knowledge Loss, and Satisfaction in High Technology Alliances.” Journal of Business Research, 57(6): 610-619.