Peter G. Klein
W. W. Caruth Chair; Professor of Entrepreneurship; Chair, Department of Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation
Peter G. Klein is W. W. Caruth Endowed Chair, Professor of Entrepreneurship, and Chair of the Department of Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation at Baylor University’s Hankamer School of Business. He also serves as Director of the Baugh Center’s Free Enterprise Initiative.
Klein is Co-Editor of the Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal and Associate Editor of the Independent Review. He was previously Field Editor for the Journal of Business Venturing and Associate Editor for the Academy of Management Perspectives. He was Chair of the Academy of Management’s Entrepreneurship Division and also served as Chair of the Institutional and Behavioral Economics Section of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
Klein’s 2012 book Organizing Entrepreneurial Judgment (with Nicolai Foss, Cambridge University Press) won the Foundation for Economic Education Best Book Prize and has been translated into Chinese, Polish, and Persian. His 2010 book The Capitalist and the Entrepreneur (Mises Institute) has been translated into Chinese and Portuguese. His newest book, Why Managers Matter: The Perils of the Bossless Company (PublicAffairs/Hachette, with Nicolai Foss), appeared in 2022. He holds an Honorary Professorship at the Beijing University of Information Science and Technology.
He received his PhD in economics from the University of California, Berkeley, and a BA in economics from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He has held faculty positions at the University of Missouri, the Copenhagen Business School, the University of Georgia, and Washington University in St. Louis. He was a Senior Economist for the Council of Economic Advisers in 2000-01.
- 1995 - PhD, Economics, University of California, Berkeley, California,
- 1988 – BA, Economics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- ENT 6320 – Seminar in Entrepreneurship
- ENT 6330 – Theoretical Perspectives in Strategy and Entrepreneurship
- MGT 5485 – Strategic Management and Business Policy
- MGT 5406 – Global Strategy: Building and Sustaining Competitive Advantage
- BUS 4385 – Strategic Management
- Strategic Management
- Innovation and Technology
- Public Policy
- Foss, N. J., Klein, P. G., Lien, L. B., Zellweger, T., & Zenger, T. (2021). Ownership competence. Strategic Management Journal, 42(2), 302-328.
- Kolympiris, C., Hoenen, S., & Klein, P. G. (2019). Learning by seconding: evidence from national science foundation rotators. Organization Science, 30(3), 528-551.
- Klein, P. G., Mahoney, J. T., McGahan, A. M., & Pitelis, C. N. (2019). Organizational governance adaptation: Who is in, who is out, and who gets what. Academy of Management Review, 44(1), 6-27.
- Packard, M. D., Clark, B. B., & Klein, P. G. (2017). Uncertainty types and transitions in the entrepreneurial process. Organization Science, 28(5), 840-856.
- Klein, P. G. (2008). Opportunity discovery, entrepreneurial action, and economic organization. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 2(3), 175-190.
Foster Business and Innovation 201.37