Clinical Assistant Professor
Lee Grumbles is a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation. He regularly teaches New Venture Finance, Strategic Management, Entrepreneurial Process, and Starting and Managing a Small Business. Grumbles received his BA in 2001 from Texas A&M University, MBA in 2012 from Sam Houston State University and PhD in Business Administration in 2020 from Oklahoma State University.
Prior to joining Baylor University, Grumbles was a vice president in commercial banking for more than 17 years and has extensive experience working with entrepreneurial ventures. During his time in industry, Grumbles had the privilege of mentoring new bankers in various aspects of banking, such as B2B sales, risk assessment and portfolio management.
Grumbles is a faculty-in-residence for the Business and Innovation Living and Learning Center at Brooks Flats Residence Hall. He is also currently a member of the Global Advisory Committee for the McBride Center for International Business, which focuses on study abroad initiatives within Baylor University. Grumbles is a strong proponent for active learning and regularly works at improving this teaching style, attending experiential teaching workshops and recently completed an active learning fellowship.
- 2020 – PhD, Business Administration, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- 2012 – MBA, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas
- 2001 – BA, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- ENT 4310 – New Venture Finance: The Entrepreneur’s Perspective (2020 - current)
- ENT 5329 – Entrepreneurial Finance (2020 – current)
- ENT 3315 – Starting and Managing a Business (2020 – current)
- BUS 4385 – Strategic Management (2020 – current)
- ENT 3320 – Entrepreneurial Process (2022 – current)
- MGT 5385 – Strategic Management and Business Policy (2022)
- The relationship between new venture signals and investor legitimacy
- How new ventures can strategically leverage specific signals when competing for external capital
- Grumbles, L. H., Phillips, D., & Rutherford, M. W. (2020). Opaque Costly Signals and Debt Contracts in Entrepreneurial Ventures. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2020, No. 1, p. 19720). Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510: Academy of Management